Friday, October 21, 2005

American Gumbo

Why do peace officers place aged men under brutal cardiac arrest?
My favorite roux is made without blood
Legal minds flippantly tell a spiced truth to the lenses of lying eyes
Nero’s fiddle can be heard playing a sad song in the American South


Uncultivated cerebellums litter the streets of old Antebellum,
Quagmires of the contemporary politic deposit useless rhetoric in an intellectual delta
Rains of colour whitewash social etiquette;
Acts of God lift sheer veils,
through winds of merciless change


Excuses are espoused by shameful eyes
Tears are found in mine
We all know how the institution of destitution was built, and why


Antiquity is older than my grandparents;
And Momma and Daddy ain’t that old


Compassionate hypocrisy tickles a cynical mind
The indigent are convenient play-things for political over-lords;
Still, only fools turn down opportunities to improve


Synonymous motivations may produce opposing results,
Devious friends are sometimes lured to warm our beds
A high-horse is no one’s bedfellow, no matter how strange it gallops
Be cautious… most have no idea where their heroes sleep at night;
You and your idol are fools


Cronies competent only in their incompetence, spin fairy-tales for all to see
Insatiable ignorance is the lust of weak minds
Waves ripple right through the air and spew confused half-truths;
Brilliantly, they intentionally paint themselves weak;
Little do they know,
it’s long-since too late once the velvet glove falls to the floor
To the fools of popular frenzy: your group is always one from next in line


Dry wells quench no thrust,
whether or not our water bills are manipulated
Starving minds soon expire
Divided houses show decrepit dysfunction;
The roof-top may soon cave


The ensuing catastrophe will emit an undeniable effervescence
Come closer to the table of brotherhood, pull up a seat…
The stew is close to done

8 Comments:

Blogger ~^^~L*C~^^~ said...

Hello there - thanx for stopping by my blog. Sorry for my late stop here. (busy week - long story).

Anyway, I really do like this poem. Very truthful and insightful. The truth is right there, smacking me in the face. I love it. Reminds me of the Greek philosopher, Plato and his love of the truth.

It also reminds me of some of my favorite rap music (not mainstream), it makes sense. I could really see your poem as a song similar to this. Your diction is excellent.

U have a purpose in your message which is evident in this poem.

7:40 PM, October 21, 2005  
Blogger Blondie... said...

Very thought provoking like lady in satin said.

You're a great writer.

10:16 AM, October 23, 2005  
Blogger JD_Janelle said...

question: do you just type these things when you sign on, or are these poems you have written before. Whatever the case,this one was brilliant.
Evidence of a beautiful mind....

5:49 PM, October 23, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey :) i really like ur poems :)
very beautiful and provoking ;)

6:57 PM, October 23, 2005  
Blogger Meadow said...

Holy night! This one needs to reach the world.

8:38 PM, October 23, 2005  
Blogger nosthegametoo said...

@ elise:

Nice to see you stopped by. There is a sheer veil that covers a whole lot of unpleasantness in every society. As positive as we all want to be, sometimes the most positive thing we can do is to pull back that veil. Once it is lifted, then we are able to see clearly. And from there, we can find solutions.

I’m glad you could see some purpose in my writing. I try to make it evident.

@ lady_in_satin:

If you’re thinking, then I’ve written a good poem. Thanks for being apart of the dream-world.

@ blondie:

I’m still working on being a “good” writer. But I do hope that one day I’ll be known, if even for a second, as a “great” one. You don’t know how much your encouragement means. Thank you.

@ jd_janelle:

I write most of my pieces before I sign on, when I have a free moment, or when something strikes me. They come to me at odd times.

I’m glad you enjoyed this one. My family is from the south. And in all seriousness, it’s not difficult to SEEM beautiful, especially when beautiful people inspire you. But thank you for the compliment.

@ icelandic_girl:

It’s always nice to have a new reader. Thank you for your compliments. As long as someone feels something when they read my writing, I’m happy. It’s the provocation of emotion that gives writing its power. Thank you for sharing yours with me, it’s encouraging.

@ goddess:

Thanks you. All I can say is this: the world need not read my writing, but I wish that they would have compassion for the least of their brothers and sisters, and prevent them from being exploited; whether that exploitation is from “others” or members of their own community, it’s all the same.

11:10 AM, October 24, 2005  
Blogger MZPEACH said...

Did you write this? It is beautiful, great job.

3:43 PM, October 24, 2005  
Blogger nosthegametoo said...

@ georgiapeach:

Thanks for stopping by. And yes, these are all mine. I guess they're just thoughts that are part of my dream-world. Glad you enjoyed... don't be a stranger.

10:58 PM, October 25, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home